Nowadays everyone wants the site they are accessing should be faster. No one wants to wait till the site gets loaded. Because of this, it has become a necessity to improve our site performance as much as possible.
To increase WordPress site performance we need to take care of following things from professional WordPress developers:
When you selecting any host for your site, you need to keep following things in your mind:
- Your hosting should be capable to respond quickly. Response time will be vary based on server i.e. server response time of Apache is differ
- Your hosting should be able to handle multiple requests at a time. It should be slow down while there is heavy traffic.
2) Wordpress Theme
- A theme which you select for your WordPress site is also responsible for the performance of your site.
- Your theme should be lightweight and quite speedy.
- The theme should not unnecessary images in theme, all image should be optimized.
- A number of files should be less to display the page on your site. For that, we need to combine multiple CSS into a single file. The file should be optimized.
3) Use Effective Caching
- Caching is the process of storing data in cache memory.
- Cache is a temporary storage area. Whenever you request for a page first time, it will save it in the cache memory and then second time onwards server will serve this page from a cache memory. By this way, it will save your execution time and network burden of additional traffic.
4) Optimize Images
- Your site should have a way to optimize an image. If user uploads image with heavy file size, then it will affect in your page load time. So as a solution, you should have installed a plugin which will optimize an image to reduce file size not reducing quality.
- There are many plugins available for this like Wp-SmushIt, Optimus, etc.
5) Add an Expires Header to Static Resources
- You just need to add following code in your root .htaccess file:
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
6) Add LazyLoad to your Image
- LazyLoad is the process of having only the images visible in the visitor’s browser window, then, when reader scrolls down, the other images begin to load, just before they come into view.
- As a result, it will increase your page load time as well as it will save your bandwidth because you are loading less data for users who don’t scroll all the way down on your page.
- There are many plugins available to implement this functionality, like jQuery Image LazyLoad, Lazy Load, etc
7) Disable Hotlinking and Leaching of Your Content
- Hotlinking means, you are loading content from another site like google fonts, some images etc.
- This will increase your bandwidth and page speed.
- To overcome this situation, load content as much from your site only. Download external content in your site and load it from there.
8) Remove Unnecessary Plugins
Remove all inactive plugins from your site. You should also remove duplicate plugins(more than one plugin for the same purpose).
By doing this it will not load assets( like CSS, js, etc) of that plugins in your page or it will not perform and process which plugins does before page load.
9) Enable gzip Compression
Enabling gzip compression on your site will dramatically reduce the amount of data sent from your server to the visitor's browsers, thus increasing the page-load speed.
For this, you need to add following code in your root .htaccess file
mod_gzip_item_include file \.(html?|txt|css|js|php|pl)$
mod_gzip_itemhttp://staging.addwebsolution.com/blog/understand-laravel-eloquent-relationships_include handler ^cgi-script$
mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude mime ^image/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude rspheader ^Content-Encoding:.*gzip.*
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml
AddType x-font/otf .otf
AddType x-font/ttf .ttf
AddType x-font/eot .eot
AddType x-font/woff .woff
AddType image/x-icon .ico
AddType image/png .png
AddType image/svg+xml .svg
AddType image/jpg .jpg
Hope this blog helps you out. Hire Wordpress Developer to improve your WordPress website's performance.