Introduction of Apache JMeter
Apache JMeter is an easy & awesome open source application with great testing abilities.
The web server handles or carries loads of lots of applications & its user, so there is a need to know how Jmeter helps us to Handle the performance of Web server to manage simultaneous users or their applications.
For Example Online purchasing site, how they handle their sale when there are lots of users are accessing the same page of the product. To handle or check that kind of performance of application or server we have to do a high performance or a load testing using Jmeter.
There are three different approaches to Jmeter testing:
- Performance Testing: This testing used to test the performance of site configuration of infrastructure & helps us to get results Quickly & easily before we transfer the application in Production environment.
- Load Testing: This testing is used to check the extreme load of a system that can be aimed to handle.
- Stress Test: This test tries to break the system by crushing its resources.
Overview of Jmeter:
JMeter works with different plugins & Protocols, Also Off-site developers can simply spread JMeter with custom plugins.
JMeter works on many protocols which are:
- Web Services: SOAP / XML-RPC
- Service: POP3, IMAP, SMTP, FTP
- Web: HTTPS sites ‘web 1.0’ web 2.0 (ajax, flex and flex-ws-amf), HTTP
- Messaging Oriented service: JMS
- Database: JDBC drivers, Directory – LDAP
Working features of JMeter:
Jmeter works as a number of users send a request for accessing some server & shows the performance by the listeners like tables, graphs etc.
Characteristics of Apache Jmeter:
Why People choose Apache Jmeter for Performance & Load testing. Here are some characteristics which are mentioned below:
Open source application:
- Apache JMeter is an openly available free tool & it facilitates users or developers to use the code for other development or modification purpose.
- Platform independent: It can run on any platform & also it is capable enough to check the load & performance of any server requests.
- User – friendly GUI: Its user-friendly, simple & easy to understand.
- Write your own test: Using Jmeter we can write our own test cases. It uses a text editor to create a test plan and supplies in XML format.
- Simulation: JMeter can parallelly work with threads to generate a heavy load on the server.
- Installation: It's easy to install on different OS like:
> Run the“*.bat” file to use JMeter
> Mac - JMeter can be accessed by typing the sh jmeter.sh
> Linux/Unix – JMeter can be accessed by clicking on a JMeter shell script.
> Windows – JMeter can be accessed by starting the JMeter.bat file.
- Record & Run: Jmeter provides the facility to record the steps by using Blaze master addon & run with any no.of threads & listeners.
- Support multi-protocol: JMeter works on web application testing and database server testing and also supports protocols such as JDBC, HTTP, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP.